Subscribe via email

If you wish to receive our blog updates automatically via email, enter your email address below and then click on "Subscribe." If you wish, you may always "unsubscribe" later.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Poisonous Snake Second Take

Jeff writes:

Dr. Addy from Rumginae in the Western Province of PNG does not think the snake I photographed on the Kokoda trek was a death adder. She thinks that it was a candoia carinata or Pacific Boa. She sent me this photo to show what a real death adder looks like. Note the triangular shaped head and the very small tail.



Daddio also left a comment to say that he thinks that it is a type of boa as well. He identified as a New Guinean ground boa. He supplied a link to the photo below.



Thanks for your timely responses.

I am inclined to agree. Although when I tell the story to my grandchildren, I will probably refer to the extremely rare maybe poisonous but who knows? New Guinea Pacific ground boa or something like that.

1 comment:

EG said...

It was funny, when Tim saw your initial snake picture he was looking at it over my shoulder from several feet away and he immediately said "It's a boa."