Subscribe via email

If you wish to receive our blog updates automatically via email, enter your email address below and then click on "Subscribe." If you wish, you may always "unsubscribe" later.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Missionary Conundrum


Jeff writes:

How would you like to be a missionary for a day?

Last week I had a national friend come by to ask me whether I would adopt his unborn child. He and I have gotten to know each other because we both lift weights. He is a championship body builder, and when I found that out, I asked him to develop a workout program for me.

Mutual giving forms the basis of a Melanesian relationship, so since he helped me with my training, he came to me with his adoption request; but it has a catch.

He told me that his wife wants to abort the child. They already have two kids, but with school fees and all the other expenses of raising a child, she really felt they could not afford another. Abortion is illegal and unsafe in PNG, so there is a real danger that both mother and child could die. Hence, he wants to find another alternative.

We are still working this one through, but I thought it would be interesting for you to reflect on the situation. So, what would you do if he had come to you?

2 comments:

EG said...

I suspect there are many families in PNG who would happily give their unborn child to a "rich" American. Of course there's a personal aspect with this specific family and child.

I also suspect that the American government wouldn't let you bring someone else's child home as your own. You're not Madonna, after all (she swooped in and adopted an African child, breaking the country's adoption laws).

The heartbreaking part is that there are so many families who can't have children, and so many unwanted children. Are there any families that fit that description in PNG? Do they have adoption agencies there?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff and Sue!

If you are on Facebook Michael just uploaded a synopsis of his summer trips to the remoter areas of Yunnan province. You have to install the "slates" app to view.

BTW, we would be glad to take that PNG baby, or any other babies that you happen to have offered to you! : )

Praying for the various needs mentioned--the Potters