Subscribe via email

If you wish to receive our blog updates automatically via email, enter your email address below and then click on "Subscribe." If you wish, you may always "unsubscribe" later.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stolen Shoes

Jeff writes:

For the last six months I have been training to hike the Kokoda Track. This is an arduous foot path. It connects the north coast of PNG at Popendetta with its south coast at Port Moresby. The track mounts the Owen Stanley Range, and all told it has more ups and downs than Mt. Everest.

More importantly, it is also the scene of an heroic WW II battle. Initially young, green, under supplied, outgunned, and outmanned Australian militia bought time and stubbornly resisted the Japanese advance. Later they fought alongside seasoned veterans and defeated a bloodthirsty enemy. Together they handed the armies of Japan their first setback of the war.

Sadly, however, in these final weeks before my departure someone came last Thursday night and stole my hiking boots from off of our front porch (I had left them to air out.). At this point they are irreplaceable.


To get in shape I try to hike ten times up and back down Vision Hill three times per week. (That is me training in the picture with a 20 kg pack on my back.) After the shoes went missing, I attempted to do this with an old pair of basketball sneakers. When I finished my workout that day, I noticed that the stress had almost totally separated the soles from both of the shoes.

So I really need these hiking boots back. I have spoken with as many local contacts as I can to get the word out. I am even prepared to pay a reward for their return, but so far no boots.

Many are praying for them to turn up as I now hope all of you will. If I can't get them back, I will attempt the hike in my running shoes. Lord willing that will not be necessary.

2 comments:

EG said...

Won't whoever stole them be surprised to find how big they are? Perhaps they'll use them as a flower planter.

There's no way to order a new pair of the same boots? Express shipping?

Jan said...

Sorry Jeff. I feel your pain and your frustration.