Subscribe via email

If you wish to receive our blog updates automatically via email, enter your email address below and then click on "Subscribe." If you wish, you may always "unsubscribe" later.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, October 3, 2009

On Meeting Physical Needs

Sue says:

There are so many physical needs in the world today. I find it difficult to know which ones God wants me to get involved with.

This week in the news we read about devastating earthquakes in Indonesia and a tsunami that flattened some sections of Samoa and Tonga. Real people are hurting.

The one Samoan student at our Bible college was seriously concerned when he couldn't reach his family after the tsunami. Later he reached a cousin by cell phone, and he found out his family's possessions were washed away, but their lives were spared. Schools that are standing in Samoa are setting up shelters for the displaced. Some people are still trying to locate loved ones. When I know someone who is suffering, it makes sense to help them out.

There are so many physical needs here in Papua New Guinea (and any other undeveloped nation). One could run around all day giving alms or weeping with hurting people.

This week a man from the village next to us came into the faculty building with a note in English saying he needs an operation and he wants a contribution. He told Jeff in pidgin that he is the head of security in the village--thereby suggesting he will send someone to deal with whoever doesn't contribute? Jeff gave a small amount to maintain relationship with the village (but he didn't even know the man).

Today i was at the vegetable market outside the gate of the college. As I came back in the gate, a well-dressed man I didn't know offered a basket for me to buy. I said I had enough baskets. (I do have one just like the one he offered me.) When I got home, I realized that he had followed me. He came up to my door before I went in and asked again. I told him he had already asked me, and he shouldn't follow me. He made a pantomime like he was hungry. I had visions of all kinds of people following me home whenever I go out. (And I think he has wantoks, tribal relations, to help him out.)

I guess this is bothering me. I want to be compassionate. It seems some discernment is required to recognize genuine need. We foreign missionaries look very rich to the nationals. "O, Lord, please give me compassion and wisdom to recognize the ones you want me to get involved with."

So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. Galatians 6:10

No comments: